This recipe is nothing I can take any credit for, I saw it in a weekly advertisement paper sent out by one of the Swedish grocery stores some years ago…
However…it’s one of my absolute favorite summer dishes, and I think it would be a shame not to share it with you ;)
• 2/5 cup (1dl) White Balsamic Vinegar.
• 1 tbsp Honey.
• 2 tbsp Olive Oil.
• 1/2 tsp Salt.
• 1 Fennel Bulb, finely shredded.
• 1 Red Onion, finely shredded.
• 2 1/2 oz (70g) Leafy Greens, (Mâché lettuce recommended…).
• 9 oz (250g) Strawberries, hulled and sliced.
• 1 – 1 1/2 lb (300-400g) Hot-Smoked Salmon.
• 1/5 cup (1/2dl) fresh Mint.
• Crushed Black Pepper, (to taste…)
Bring the vinegar to a gentle boil and let reduce to about half the volume.
Remove from heat and stir in honey, olive oil and salt.
Add the shredded fennel and onions, give it a few stirs and let stand for at least 10 minutes. (I often let it stand for much longer than that, occasionally pressing the fennel and onions with a spoon because you really want them to soak up as much flavor as possible and soften up a bit…)
Spread the leafy greens over a big serving platter, then spread the fennel and onions evenly on top of that (and drizzle any left over balsamic dressing).
On top of that you sprinkle the strawberry slices.
Cut or pull the hot-smoked salmon into bite size pieces and place over the salad.